Before I begin with the tutorial, let's se what facebook has to say on the matter.
"Maintaining a personal account for anything other than an individual person is a violation of Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. If you don’t convert your noncompliant account to a Page, you risk permanently losing access to the account and all of its content."
I have never had any first hand knowledge of somone losing their account in this way, however I have read online of this happening to quite a few people.
Facebook pages has so many great tools to promote your business online, that the benefits out weight the cons. These are just some of the features you can only have by having a page for your business.
- Like Feature (allows people to like and follow your posts)
- Page Insights (demographics on your following and the type of traffic you are getting)
- Private Message for pages (you must enable this function)
- Multiple admins
- Create Advertising campaigns
- Social tools and plugins for your website and web apps.
How To Convert your Facebook account to a Facebook Page
So here is the how to convert your facebook business/personal account to a facebook page. Before you convert your page...make sure to download an archive file of your facebook account, in order to keep photos and posts. Download your profile (timeline) information. You can download a file that contains all of your sent and received messages and all of the photos and videos you’ve uploaded to Facebook.
- Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
- Choose Account Settings
- Click on "Download a copy of your Facebook data"
- Click Start My Archive
- Now you are ready to convert your page... click on this link https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate
- Choose the category that best suits your business
- Then follow the steps in my article Facebook Pages For your Business
Now that you have your facebook account converted to a page you will have a head start e by keeping your friends as your followers, in addition to having all the facebook page tools available to you.